I took my last two precious Meyer lemons from the Lemon Ladies and bestowed upon them the Highest Honor known to Fruitdom: tequila.
Tai is sick and has a horrible, wracking cough that shakes his frame approximately every 42 seconds. I am drowning in data, reprioritizing deadlines, booking travel, cancelling on friends, ignoring the phone, and lamenting the grim, cold, grey skies. Clearly there is only one thing to do: Meyer lemon margaritas.
Because it’s been that kind of week. And it’s only Wednesday. Treat yourself to a Meyerita today. And invite me over, will you?
- 1 Meyer lemon
- 1 oz tequila
- 1/2 oz simple syrup (I used a citrus-infused syrup leftover from making candied citrus peels) or Triple Sec
- Kosher salt, lemon slices and lemon zest for garnish
- Scrub & dry the lemon. Remove zest with a vegetable peeler or sharp paring knife, or make a fancy twist. Juice the lemon (about 1 oz) and combine Meyer juice, tequila and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker half-filled with ice.
- Prepare a cocktail glass: rub the lemon twist, or a slice of lemon, over the rim of the glass. Dip rim in Kosher salt (or not, as you prefer). Add ice. Shake cocktail shaker vigorously, then strain into prepared glass. Garnish with lemon zest or thinly sliced rounds. Sip. Sigh.
Yields 1 cocktail.
- Move to California. Plant your own Meyer grove. Invite me over for drinks.
In ma belly.
Cold, grey, dreary, data-and-nasty-cold-filled Winter.
I had this idea for Kefira Lime-aritas with crazy shit like coconut too to give it a Thai sort of inflection. But I don’t have any, and my Meyer lemons are flowering and/or miniscule right now.
California is looking better and better. Except for all the Californians.
Does the neutron bomb hurt citrus? Must look into that…. (Just kidding, FBI. Nothing to see here. Move along, people, move along.)
And now I know what I’m doing with the meyer lemons on my counter!
Just found your site, it’s great! I’m loving all the past posts.
A toast to you. May you get through your difficult week with grace. If I had tequila I’d be tempted to join you in a Meyerita with the only ripe lemon on the lemon tree (Even California isn’t perfect: I’m ignoring the remark about the Californians, being a native one).
I have many, many friends in Cali who would agree with you. I just want to steal their homes and ship them off to New York for the month of February…
Pingback: Whatever-cello – another fruit+booze story « Snowflake Kitchen
These sound fabulous! And they just gave me a thought to try making margaritas out of my preserved lemons. Have you tried that? cheers.
I have a huge bowl full of Meyers that I’ve been looking for something fun to do with and this looks like just the thing 🙂 Thanks for sharing!
Boy, you and I are on the same page! My latest post included ideas on what to do with Meyer lemons too. If you get a chance, Id love it if you would check it out. I love your humor infused throughout your posts- thanks for brightening my day 🙂
This post drew me to your blog!
I am always up for a simple and refreshing beverage! Sounds delicious!
Pingback: Whatever-cello – another fruit+booze story | Snowflake Kitchen
Pingback: French 75 | A Provincial Life