- Omnivore’s Dilemma, Michael Pollan. “If you read only one book this year…..”
- Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, Barbara Kingsolver. A book, a blog, recipes and stories. This book inspired me to grow my first tomatoes and make my own cheese!
- Plenty: The 100-Mile Diet, Alisa Smith and J.B. McKinnon. Another book-and-a-blog, this is an amusing and often heartfelt story of the triumphs and challenges of eating locally in Vancouver, BC.
- Coming Home to Eat, Gary Paul Nabhan. A dedicated locavore, Gary Nabhan writes, lectures and works tirelessly to promote & save local food networks. Not only does he talk the talk – this hard-core locavore packs dry-roasted grasshoppers as plane snacks and contemplates the legality of eating road-kill javelina from his home in Arizona.
- Homegrown: Pure & Simple, Michel Nischan. Nischan is a world-renowed chef who is dedicated to fresh, locally-produced, flavorful and healthful meals. He lives & cooks in Connecticut so this cookbook is a great resource for Northeast-local cooking.
- Fast Food Nation, Eric Schlosser. A book and a movie, this one will make you want to know where your food comes from!
- Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving, Kingry & Devine. The essential home manual for canning everything and anything.
- Gourmet Preserves, Madeline Bullwinkel. My “other” preserve bible – many no- or low-sugar jam recipes.
- Botany, Ballet & Dinner from Scratch, Leda Meredith. A memoir with recipes from Brooklyn locavore Leda Meredith.
- The Gardener’s A to Z Guide to Growing Organic Food, Tanya Denckla. The organic gardening bible.
- Edible Wild Plants, Lee Allen Peterson. The best of the local foraging guides.
- Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants in Wild (and not so wild) Places, Wildman Steve Brill. Local foraging guide with hand-drawn illustrations from the “Wildman” himself.
- www.grist.org An environmental news website, with a blog (Gristmill), that often reports on local and sustainable food news & issues.
- Leda’s Urban Homestead A dancer, gardener, forager and locavore living in Brooklyn. Handy recipes & resources.
- Katonah Green. Green news, tips and advice in and around Katonah, NY.
- You Grow Girl. Gardening site with a focus on space-saving, environmentally sound, frugal and fun growing.
- Local Food Rocks. Local foodie and Natural Princess Alicia Ghio blogs from in and around Danbury, CT.
- Living in a Local Zone. Living local in Newington, CT.
- SuperSize Me, Morgan Spurlock. Scary.
- An Inconvenient Truth. Al Gore et al.
- Fast Food Nation. Creepy.
- Being Caribou. Karsten Heuer. Simply inspiring trek to follow migrating Alaskan caribou.
- Big Night. Stanley Tucci, Campbell Scott. A must-see for anyone who loves food or cooking.
- Radius Map. Find your own 100-mile, or 250-mile, or 33.7-mile radius for your own local eating life. (Use “prntscrn” key to capture the image of your map for printing or pasting into your own blog.)