In keeping with the Middle Eastern theme of late (oh-so appropriate while I am traveling through the wilds of the Canadian Rockies, I know, but there is not a lot of elk or bison to be had in Northeastern America), this is a tasty, cool salad, using up lots of end-of-garden parsley and mint with the zest of lemon and the heartiness of bulghur wheat. Simple and delicious.
Adapted from Authentic Lebanese Tabouli at Epicurious
- 1 cup bulghur wheat
- 2 cups boiling filtered water
- 2 cups finely chopped flat-leaf parsley (about 3 big bunches)
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh mint (about 1 big bunch)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered (or 3 to 4 plum tomatoes, diced)
- 3 scallions, sliced, white and green parts
- 1/2 a small shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more to taste
- zest and juice from 1 large lemon
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- Add the boiling water to the bulghur wheat in a medium bowl. Stir and allow wheat to absorb water until it fluffs up, or about 1 hour.
- Combine parsley, mint, tomato, scallion, olive oil, lemon juice & zest, vinegar, salt and pepper. Mix well. Add fluffed bulghur wheat, 1/2 cup at a time, until the proportion of wheat-to-vegetables looks, and tastes, good to you (I used a total of 2 cups ‘fluffed.’).
- Serve cold or at room temperature with fresh pita bread, lemon slices, or cool lettuce leaves.
- Adjust the bulghur to your preference; the original recipe calls for just a few tablespoons. I added about 2 cups of cooked bulghur wheat.
About 2 days refrigerated.
Summer to early fall.
I like how your version of tabbouleh has way more mint and parsley than the ones I see in delis here in NYC.
The store-bought ones always seem to contain more bulgur to vegetables, as in a 2:1 ratio.
i love tabouli with fresh summer tomatoes! i just made one and posted about it on my blog, except in mine i used couscous! i will have to try yours when i want a change of pace! http://therapybread.com/2013/08/21/couscous-tabouli/