To find farmer’s markets, CSAs, online sellers, restaraunts and stores in your area:
- www.localharvest.org The definitive source.
- www.eatwellguide.com Downloadable guides for major cities, states and regions.
- www.slowfoodusa.org News & events in the US and the world.
- National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service
To find U-pick fruit & vegetable farms:
- http://www.pickyourown.org/ Pick your own farms by state & county, also festivals, pumpkin patches, Fall hayrides, Christmas trees, canning instructions and more.
To find local wine & beer:
- Local Wine Events Search for wine events by state.
- Vino-Versity. Educational wine shop in Manhattan’s Upper East Side. Excellent knowledge of affordable & tasty local wines.
- Hudson Valley Wine Country
- Shawangunk Wine Trail
- Dutchess County Wine Trail
- Connecticut Wine Trail
Westchester, Putnam and Fairfield County Shopping
Weekly Farmer’s Markets
- South Salem Farmer’s Market, Gossett Brother’s Nursery, South Salem, NY. Produce, aples, cider, meat, bakery & breads, Pika prepared dishes, candles, sauces, plants. Every Saturday, 9-1pm.
Vegetables, Fruit & Produce
- Ryder Farm, Brewster, NY. Organic produce, herbs, flowers. My CSA. Serve-yourself farm stand in season.
- Holbrook Farm, Bethel, CT. Farm market open year-round (organic farm produce only in season). Honey, jams, meats, cheese, eggs, raw milk, bakery, frozen pies & cookies, olive oil. CSA.
- Fishkill Farms, Fishkill, NY. U-pick apples, peaches, nectarines, cherries, blackberries, currants, blueberries. Vegetables. Organic/sustainably farmed. Full market with meat, cheese, milk and other local products, including a beautiful back deck to sit and eat lunch!
- Jones Family Farms, Shelton, CT. U-pick strawberries, blueberries, pumpkins, corn, Christmas trees. Winery on site. Open seasonally, June – Christmas.
- Westwind Orchards, Accord, NY. Certified naturally grown apples. Limited supply of raspberries and pumpkins. U-pick and farm stand in season.
Meat, Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
- Flying Pigs Farm, Shushan, NY. Humanely raised, heritage pigs and the best pork you have ever tasted. On-line ordering or farmer’s markets.
- Holbrook Farm, Bethel, CT. Eggs, cheese, milk and meat year-round.
- Sprout Creek Farm, Poughkeepsie, NY. Excellent local cow cheese – try the Ouray!
- Nettle Meadow Farm, Warrensburg, NY. Delicious local goat cheese – my favorite is the mixed-herb chevre.
- Bobolink Dairy, Vernon, NJ. Wonderful cheeses from “outside cows.”
- Ronnybrook Farm, Ancramdale, NY. Milk, cream, butter, yogurt, ice cream.
- Battenkill Valley Creamery, Salem, NY. Cow’s milk, cream, chocolate milk.
- Stone Wall Dairy Farm, Cornwall Bridge, CT. Raw cow’s milk. Carried at Holbrook Farm.
Beans, Grains & Bread
- Wild Hive Farm, Clinton Corners, NY. 100% whole grain, organic and locally-grown and milled flours and grains. Also corn meal and flour, mushrooms, and baked goods.
- Wave Hill Breads, Wilton, CT. Local grains, milled at the bakery, and turned into fabulous, artisanal bread.
- Cayuga Organics, Brooktondale, NY. Organic dry beans (pinto, red, black, navy, soy) and organic grains (hard red spring white, rye, buckwheat and spelt).
Coffee & Alcohol
- Coffee Labs, Tarrytown, NY. Coffee beans bought globally, roasted locally. Organic, shade-grown, bird-friendly. Fun cafe with live music, snacks and coffee as an art form.
- Hopkins Vineyards, New Preston, CT. Home of Duet Chardonnay - my favorite local white.
- Jones Winery, Shelton, CT. A nice cabernet franc and a unique and lovely sparkling strawberry dessert wine.
- Warwick Valley Winery, Warwick, NY. My favorite is the Doc’s Draft Hard Apple Cider. The raspberry cider is good as well, although quite sweet - a brunch sipper. (I’ve tried a few of the wines, but have not been impressed). They also produce fruit liqueurs and brandies.
- Saranac, Utica, NY. “Great beer” as they say. A perennial favorite at our house – the Pomegranate Wheat is a special treat!
- Tuthilltown Spirits, Gardiner, NY. Whisky, rum and vodka, made from locally-sourced ingredients.
Stores & Restaraunts
- Nature’s Temptations, Cross River, NY and Ridgefield, CT. Independently-owned whole foods shop with a focus on local products. Deli.
- Stone Barns, Pocantico Hills, NY. Farm, educational center, farmer’s market, cafe, bookshop and fine dining restaraunt. Worth a visit!
- Tomatillo, Dobb’s Ferry, NY. Authentic Mexican food, organic & fresh. Supplied by Stone Barns.
- Rhode Island Sea Salt, Kenyon’s Grist Mill, Usequepaugh, RI. Their yellow corn meal comes from Long Island.
- Clean Ridge Soap Company, Pound Ridge, NY. Soaps, lotions, bath gel and soy candles made locally with the finest ingredients.
- North Winds Farm, Pawling, NY. Handmade beeswax candles with lavender infusion, lavender products.